As usual, stupid people do stupid things and a huge forest fire started a little too close to home. The sky is filled with smoke. Ash is creating a thin layer of dust on the cars, and the air is thick with the smell of camp fire.
We have family in the path of the flames. So far they are safe, but the wind can change at any moment. Last we heard, the fire had burned over 20 thousand acres of forest and was zero percent contained.
Some of our favorite hiking trails have been destroyed. It took many fire fighters tirelessly working all night to save the lodge at Multnomah Falls. A historic landmark that we all have fond memories of visiting.
This all could have been avoided if a fifteen year old boy hadn't thrown a lit firecracker into the underbrush while walking in the forest.
The community has come together, giving shelter to those in need. Also to the animals that have been displaced by the fires. Its amazing to see how people react to this kind of devastation.
In honor of all those battling the flames and all the selfless people opening their homes to the evacuees, here is a list of my favorite stories about fire.
1. Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins. This book is all about fire and the immense power of the flames.
2. Harry Potter and the Goblet of fire by J.K. Rowling. Also a good book about fire and what happens when someone hates your guts and wants you dead.
3. Game of Thrones (A song of ice and fire) by George R. R. Martin. Lots of fire. Lots and lots of fire. You can't even imagine how much fire there is in this book.
4. Heir of Fire by Sarah J. Maas. This chick can wield fire. She is a bad ass fire wielding killer. Loved it!
5. The Fire Queen by Emily R. Smith. I just read this one and loved it. Another awesome fire chick showing the world who's boss.
What are your favorite books with a fire theme? Let me know if the comments.